Saturday, March 20, 2010

My World Is Changed

We had the best of the best doctors. They had an elaborate plan to begin treatment and everyone was on board. A plan that seemed so perfect - went so wrong. With only a few treatments into the treatment plan Scott began to decline. I spoke with the doctor who had been treating Scott the last 8 years and he said that the tumor had already crossed into Scott's motor skill. Dr. N. said that even if when the 28 radiation treatments were done that Scott would need a full time nursing facility. Scott would be unable to walk, to care for himself , he wouldn't even be able to feed himself. I felt like the wind had been knocked out of me. I knew that wasn't even an option. I knew Scott wouldn't want to live that way and it was no way to live.

I made arrangements that day to bring Scott home. The home we built together, the home we made so many memories. Michelle had came to the house after work to make sure everything was ready for Scott to return home. On the way home I rode in transport with Scott I asked that the waterfall turned on so Scott would have a familier noise. I wasn't prepared for so many people who had come to the house - family and friends. The hospice nurse was here and things were hectic until Scott got settled in. Scott was aggitated from the drive. Monday night was the last words Scott spoke and he spoke them to his brother Aaron.

I never left Scott's side except to brush my teeth and to go to the restroom. I wanted Scott to know that I was always there. It amazed me the amount of people that would come by to pay their respects. At no time was our bed empty, the more people in the bed the more love. So many people commented on what a beautiful picture it was. Scott was surrounded by so many people and so much love. Scott went so peaceful. So many commented on my strength. My strength came from my love for Scott, the love from my family and friends. Scott lost his battle on Friday at 11:45.

It was tough to tell Skylar. She asked me if I was serious and I said yes. Skylar said he wasn't even old - he wasn't even close. She cried, she said how much she would miss him and then she sat down and drew him pictures. I am hoping that I can be strong and be all I can be for Skylar. I will do all I can so she never forgets him.

I am in the process of still making arrangements. I will post them on the blog as soon as they are finalized.

5 comments:

Kevin Denelsbeck said...

Dalana,

So sorry for your loss. You and Scott fought so very, very hard against this. You both did your best. I wish you peace and comfort and rest.

Kevin Denelsbeck
(worked with Scott at Harris)

Keri Donald said...

You just painted such a beautiful picture of Scott's last days. It sounds just like what he would have wanted- to be surrounded by family, friends, and much, much love... with you by his side every second! Scott has changed all of our lives, and is truly one of the kindest men I've ever known!

nicole4fldu@gmail.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole4FLDU said...

dalana and family. scott was the most courageous person i've ever met. i'm truly honoured to have worked with him and to have known him as a friend. i have so many fun memories of him - my favourite is playing raquetball with him at pro-health - he used to hit me square in my back with the ball so i'd be nervous whenever he served... and he'd laugh at me when i ducked as he served. he loved playing jokes on us at work as well. he will always be in my heart, and in the hearts of everyone he knew. much love to you and your family during this time.

Barbara Fine said...

Dear Dalana,
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Scott was an amazing person and will be missed by so many. He touched our hearts in so many ways, and all through everything he was always smiling whenever I saw him.
Barbara Fine