Tuesday, November 17, 2009

WARNING BRAIN DUMP

Scott and I have had a tough year. Our lives changed on April the 23rd. We haven't had time to look back. It has been medically, emotionally and physically draining. We continue to receive prayers and are thankful for them. Although during this difficult year we have found out who are true friends are, the ones that listen when we need to vent and the ones that continue to do small things that make a big difference. We have learned that family expects and friends understand. We have seen the ones who continue to love us when we are not so loveable. The ones that continue to invite us to functions - even though we are unable to make 3/4 of them. I am still in therapy for the fall that Scott took in April. Every load noise makes my heart drop. Is it helping??? I don't know Scott fell last night and the thunk from the hall I heard in the living room made my heart race. I am still on anxiety meds. Scott is as uneasy as I am and he is going to schedule a CT scan today. I have learned not to trust the scans because although it shows stability, anything can happen and the domino effect that happened in April could easily happen again. We try to maintain our daily lives and not let this disease control it. When Scott and I married we vowed to renew our vows every 5 years. May will be 10 years and we have decided to fly to Hawaii to renew our vows. When I was looking at pictures I found the most beautiful breath taking spot. When I researched to find the name of the location it was perfect. The location is Heaven's Point. Scott and I take one day at a time and enjoy each day we have been gifted. If Scott is not feeling well we lay in bed together and watch our favorite shows. The days he is feeling well - we make the best of them.

We make sure we have time for Skylar, push that extra step, no matter how exhausted we are to make sure we give her childhood memories that will stay with her forever - while some choose to watch her grow up in pictures. Skylar is the best medicine you can ask for. We took her to coldstone Saturday evening. Scott and Skylar took their Ice Cream to the table and sat down and began eating. As I was standing at the cash register I looked over at them chatting and eating their ice cream - I didn't want to walk over to sit with them, I wanted to enjoy the picture that my mind had captured and one that I hope will stay with me forever.

It has been difficult knowing Blake is in Iraq. With all we have going on in our lives I try to keep the comfort of home in packages that I ship to him. It is tough seeing how exhausted he is through webcam. A few weeks ago we were on webcam and I asked him to say something so I could hear his voice but, he couldn't because there were people around. I asked him to just cough, something so I could hear and he began to whistle. That whistle (that would normally drive me crazy) was music to my ears. I don't watch the news anymore - the war and the politics drive me nuts. Every soldier that is lost breaks my heart. Scott and I decided this year that we will not buy for the adults but, will send Christmas Stockings to Soldiers in Iraq. We are going to call them "Operation Scotty Soldier Sacks"

I do have to say, as I have said many times before I am thankful for my live. I am thankful for the people God has put in our lives. I wouldn't change one thing because I feel Scott and I enjoy the things people take for granted because of all we face.

3 comments:

Keri Donald said...

You and Scott are truly two of the strongest, most giving, and most special people I've ever met! Although you very understandably have moments of anxiety, your general outlook on life and being thankful for every little thing amazes and inspires me!

Scott and Dalana Zech said...

Awe.. Keri Thank you so much. You always say the kindest things : )

Anonymous said...

Dear Dalana,

You are such a remarkable person.I just read the blog and of course it brought tears to my eyes,but not really of sadness,but joy to be able to call you and Scott my daer friends.You both have so much to give and ask of so little inreturn.You are so right about people taking things for granted.There are times when we can love for a short time and it will carry us for a life time.Life is so precious and you both know that.We are a gift to eachother for a short time he on earth,but our spirits will always be together forever.I still think of you and Scott often and he's always in my prayers as well as you are.You are a beautiful person.To bad everyone couldn't see life through your eyes.
I LOVE YOU