Thursday, October 22, 2009

October Happenings

Scott had ulna nerve surgery on his hand in early October. The surgery was a success - the nerve that was permanently turned on when the nerve block was done is now off. Scott also received his new AFO and it has improved his walking skills greatly. After a small break so his hand could heal Scott will resume chemo next month. Dr. Nick wants to hold the Interferon , thinking that - that is what was causing Scott's hives.

I took a quick trip to New York to see Blake and Kellie. I was there to see Blake off to Iraq. I enjoyed the 30 degree weather and it was nice to finally see where Blake has been laying his head at night. The trip was quick and we spent our time making sure he had everything he needed for deployment. We did take time to do a little sight seeing and making sure Blake ate everything he wanted to eat. As I was standing there talking to our soldiers it made me realize how they are just kids.

A big Thank You to Michelle because I ended up dumping Skylar's party in her lap. We had Skylar's party on Saturday. The kids had a really good time and seem to enjoy the simple food choices that we had made. I can't believe Skylar is 6 years old. She is growing so fast.

I heard from Blake on Sunday. He is in Kuwait and will be making the move to Iraq soon. My care package is ready to be packed and shipped out on Saturday. I have done so much research on what to send, what not to send, how big the box should be , how often to send them etc... I think I am prepared. I have decided to go with the smaller boxes and send them more often. Blake sounded tired, he said it is 130 degrees and the air is so bad you can hardly breathe. Blake also said all you can see for miles and miles is sand and old tires on the side of the road. I was surprised to find out that they have a Subway where they are.

I had an Epidural on Monday for the pain in my neck, head and arms. It gave me instant relief. I opted not to be sedated because I hate the after effects. I was able to walk out afterwards and I laid flat when I got home. I have had good results from it and have a 30 day window for 2 more injections if I need them.

Scott and I are house/dog sitting for a few days. Maybe I'll find time to get a few things done at home also.

2 comments:

Keri Donald said...

Not sure what kind of pain you're having, but I had HORRIBLE back pains that came on suddenly when I made a wrong move a few months back. I got acupuncture done by a friend who actually studied in China and I was AMAZED by how much it helped! I've taken months to recover from this same pain in the past, but the back pain itself was gone within 24 hours and the pain in my muscles from walking funny because of my back pain was gone in 3 days. Let me know if you want to know who did it because I firmly believe that it totally depends on who does your acupuncture to make it really work.

Scott and Dalana Zech said...

Keri I have dengenerative disc disease. My disc are pinching off my nerve endings. Although the acupunture sounds great I am not sure it will help for this problem. I am going to have another epideral but may end up having my facets corterized again. That has seem to work the best so far